The writing gene apparently did not rub off on me, which is probably why I don’t post more…yep, that’s my excuse. Maybe I need to write less and post more pictures.
I’ve been working on quite a few pieces since I last posted here, so I’m going to update everyone!
Let’s see…I finished a charcoal drawing of a local dairy cow… this is 16″ x 20″ on pastelbord…
I finally finished the Lily of the Valley (it’s a Flower of the Month for May). It’s 8″ x “10” on Stonehenge paper…and yes, it was white paper that I painstakingly darkened. (Reminder to myself that there are other papers to choose from!)
I also finished the tiger lilies here, that I believe is on Aquabord (Ampersand). It’s 10″ x 8″ and is framed without glass.
The poinsettias are actually small – 4″ x 4″, almost coaster size, which is exactly what my family thinks it should be…
Another flower of the month, this time for June…an antique rose.
This is a 16″ x 20″ pastel of tropical flowers…I keep forgetting what they’re called. I can’t decide whether or not to leave it as is, with part of it incomplete, or work it a little more. That’s why I haven’t framed or named it.
And finally, the autumn berries – on aquabord, 7″ x 5″, framed without glass. (I may have already added this to a post, but maybe not?)
I do have another colored pencil flower I’m working on…I promise to add this as I work instead of posting the finished product.
I’m still plugging away at this flower. You can see I kinda jump around with the petals, filling in more reds, greens, purples and blues. It looks like I need to darken the background as well.
It’s really interesting to see how other colored pencil artists complete their works. Quite a few artists complete sections at a time – so you’re slowly getting more and more of the painting, like watching water slowly gliding over a surface after your 2 year old spilled her glass. Very fascinating (the art, not the spilled water…) Other artists work in layers, similar to how I work. Since I started out in watercolors, using glazes of color to build up the painting, I see this as a natural way of building up colored pencil as well. Both are transparent in a way, so that you can see the individual layers as you work. By using blue and yellow to create green creates more depth and visual excitement than if one used green in the beginning.
In the next update (maybe the last??), I will have added more colors to the flower for interest and definitely darkened the background. We’ll see!
A lot more work ahead of me, and I wanted to get it done by last weekend! Maybe I can at least have it done by February’s reception.
Another update – I’m adding the red (crimson red) to the flower now. I’ll have to go back and forth with the colors to keep the values where I want them. After looking at the grey value on this, I want to push the darks more. (That’s something I tend to be timid about. I can put them in for my portraits, but not when I switch to colored pencils!)
I’m a little frustrated because my favorite pencil sharpener is at the gallery, so I’m working with a manual and a battery powered pencil sharpener. I guess I sound pretty silly – my husband thinks I have a pencil sharpener fetish. If he could read the art forum posts on supplies, his eyes would glaze over…
For now, I’m stopping here since it’s 3:15 am. I’m going to sleep…maybe.
(Oh yeah – better images, right? I ended up scanning it. Forget the camera!)
I worked at the gallery yesterday and was able to get quite a bit accomplished. I love to do flowers…but less petals! This is taking a lot of time and concentration.
Of, course, it’s a WIP (Work in Progress). This is the January Flower, taken at the gallery with my phone. I tried to fix the brightness and contrast, but it just made it worse. Just imagine the paper is actually white. And yes, the flower is green for now. It will be red in the end…trust me. 🙂
For those that haven’t figured out the flowers, I’m working on a series of Flowers of the Month. This is what I’m planning:
Jan: Carnation (WIP)
Feb: Violet (Not Started)
Mar: Daffodil (Not Started)
Apr: Daisy (Not Started)
May: Lily of the Valley (Not Started)
Jun: Rose (Not Started)
Jul: Water Lily (Not Started)
Aug: Gladioli (Not Started)…although the back up for this is the poppy…I might have to go with that.
Sep: Morning Glory (Not Started)
Oct: Cosmos (Not Started)
Nov: Chrysanthemum (completed)
Dec: Narcussis (completed)
Oy…there’s a lot more to do that have been done!
OK, I’ll try to get another picture of this…I took this while it was being hung at the gallery. (So, it’s behind glass and I took it using my cell phone).
The next flower is for January and I need to find a good picture of a carnation. The next time I go to the store, I might pick up some and try my hand at photographing them! In just need to figure out what color I want…I need something other than yellow this time!
An updated shot of my WIP. I worked on the background some more, pulling in more definition of the grass. Don’t ask me why I didn’t crop the photo closer, but at least you can see my artist tape around the edges to keep it clean. (I added a few colored pencil names at the bottom and top so I wouldn’t forget which ones I used where…)