Boxed In

Of course, it’s called “Boxed In” because it’s a box turtle, right? There’s actually a pretty cool story behind it. “Boxed In” | 6″ x 18″ | Colored Pencil and Neocolor II on pastelbord We have this black tube attached to our gutter drain to direct water flow away from our house. It’s VERY long – like maybe 50 feet. One day as Mike and I were doing yard work, we heard a scratching sound that sounded like something was in the drain. When we (Ok, Mike) pulled off the black thingy to see what it was, (I was cringing because I imagine something would jump out at us), we saw a turtle. Stuck. For who knows how long?!?!?! The turtle made a long journey from the tube opening and I guess got stuck as the tube joined the gutter drain. Just like my grandmother did when she ran to get her camera before rescuing my brother who fell into

read more Boxed In

WIP: Elk

This is the WIP for the Elk. In order to depict the massive rack, I wanted to do this on the largest surface I had in the studio. So, I used my only 18″ x 24″ pastelbord (gray). If I had something larger, I would have used it. I’ve found I like to work large when working on animals…maybe it’s because I prefer to stand when using charcoal and pastel, maybe it’s because the nature of the subject warrants to me really get in the fur without getting bogged down with the detail.  On the other hand, the colored pencils are the opposite. I prefer to sit down, work smaller (for now), and concentrate on the details. So let’s get back to the elk…I’ve added captions to each step. I guess I didn’t take a picture of the drawing, but my favorite step is below…right after I’ve drawn in the subject, and I pick up the first and second color.

read more WIP: Elk

Goat WIP

After I completed the donkey, I started to do this guy…and was asked by a few people to do it in pastel. OK…I hit a few bumps in the road since I haven’t really worked a lot with pastel. This was my first pastel animal (before the Alaskan Malamute). I was working on two photos, but not on purpose. My reference was the black and white copy at the top. I realized I needed to go back to my photos and print out a color copy to work with pastels. The photo I chose wasn’t a perfect match, but I went with it anyway. (Not to self…delete the reference photos you decide NOT to use…or…don’t take so many photographs!) Basically, blocking in color…but I guess I didn’t use a lot of charcoal in the beginning of this one. Here’s a close up.   Adding more to the nose and face…note the lavendar/purple? Working on the head and fur a little

read more Goat WIP

Art Updates…

The writing gene apparently did not rub off on me, which is probably why I don’t post more…yep, that’s my excuse. Maybe I need to write less and post more pictures. I’ve been working on quite a few pieces since I last posted here, so I’m going to update everyone! Let’s see…I finished a charcoal drawing of a local dairy cow… this is 16″ x 20″ on pastelbord… I finally finished the Lily of the Valley (it’s a Flower of the Month for May). It’s 8″ x “10” on Stonehenge paper…and yes, it was white paper that I painstakingly darkened. (Reminder to myself that there are other papers to choose from!) I also finished the tiger lilies here, that I believe is on Aquabord (Ampersand). It’s 10″ x 8″ and is framed without glass. The poinsettias are actually small – 4″ x 4″, almost coaster size, which is exactly what my family thinks it should be… Another flower of the

read more Art Updates…